Siddharth (Sidd) Viswanathan, a graduate from the A&T STEM Early College was selected to receive the J. Howard Coble Scholarship. Sidd is the fifth student to receive the scholarship since it was established in 2016 – the Coble family sees this as a valuable resource to seniors in high schools where J Howard Coble served as a congressman and they have a passion in continuing the scholarship in the future.
Sidd will attend the University of North Carolina Chapel Hill this fall planning to major in Economics. He was a stellar student at A&T STEM Early College with an avid involvement and Eagle Scout rank in the Boy Scouts of America – he is well deserved of this scholarship. Viswanathan has been involved in leadership throughout his school and has a strong compassion of volunteering in community service.
“He stepping into big shoes,” says Paul Lessard, president of High Point Community Foundation. “What Howard Coble’s done for this community will never be forgotten, and I think it’s so cool that in today’s world we’re still creating young adults like this, who want to give back.”
Sidd was involved in many activities during his time in High School which provided the scholarship committee much confidence that he was well deserving of the J. Howard Coble Scholarship. These activities included:
- Member of Service-Learning Youth Council – Representative of school at a district level, help plan & promote volunteering opportunities at STEM Early College @ NC A&T
- President & Founder of Accelerated Tutoring Club – Free math tutoring for middle schoolers at former middle school, Greensboro Academy
- Member of Team Wannabee Strange, ECG Robotics Club
- Member of Service-Learning Ambassadors Club
- Tutor in GCS Virtual Math Tutoring Program
- JV & Varsity Northwest High School Outdoor Track and Field Team
He also held many honors during his time at the Early College:
- Attained Eagle Scout Rank – Boy Scouts of America
- Member and Executive Board Member of National Honor Society – STEM Early College @ NC A&T Chapter
- Selected to attend NC Governor’s School out of 1700 state-level nominees (for math discipline) for Summer 2022 session
- Selected for Metro Conference Meet, a regional Track and Field meet in NC
- Recipient of First Place Think award for FIRST Tech Challenge – ECG Robotics
- Recipient of 3rd Place Inspire award for FIRST Tech Challenge – ECG Robotics
- Recipient of Service-Learning Exemplary Award – 186+ hours of service work
About the J. Howard Coble Scholarship
Dr. Ray Coble, a local veterinarian, and his wife Chris Coble, established the J. Howard Coble Scholarship Fund, through the High Point Community Foundation, to honor and perpetuate the memory and good work of his uncle, Howard Coble.
Congressman Coble served 30 years in the U.S. House of Representatives, establishing a legacy as a conservative Republican leader. Hands-on care for his constituents was a hallmark of Coble’s service to North Carolina and the nation for decades.